Former "Full House" star Candace Cameron Bure, who played teenage daughter D.J. Tanner on the show, opens up to Omg! Insider about her battle with bulimia[1] after her eight years on set.


Cameron Bure, 37, has a new book out, "Balancing It All[2] ," and in it, she says, she talks "about the emotional struggle that I had in dealing with just a totally new life." She's referring to her marriage to professional hockey player Valeri Bure. She married him when she was 20 and moved to Montreal for his career.


"That really was the time of identifying with being an actress and that being my whole life, and then now being someone's wife and moving to a new city, a new country even."


"I turned to food for comfort and had to find a different source, because clearly it wasn't a healthy way to deal with things," she continues. "So that's really when my faith was kicked up a notch and sought comfort in my relationship with God -- and not with food."


For more with Candace, how the "Full House" producers shielded her while on the hit series and how that episode where D.J. went on a crash diet for a few days was handled, head over to omg.yahoo.com[3] .



Also on HuffPost:




Loading Slideshow...



  • Demi Lovato


    Demi Lovato has been very open about her struggles with bulimia and the extensive treatment she went through. "I was compulsively overeating when I was eight years old. So I guess for the past 10 years, I've had a really unhealthy relationship with food," she told ABC's "20/20" in 2010. Lovato has credited her younger sister and her fans with motivating her to seek treatment.




  • Amanda Bynes


    Amanda Bynes has a rocky relationship with the press, but she still hasn't shied away from tweeting about her struggles with food. "I have an eating disorder so I have a hard time staying thin," she tweeted in April 2013. In response to unflattering photos that had been published of her and a friend, Bynes later added: "We look awful, I look fat in that photo you chose, which doesn't help my eating disorder."




  • Lady Gaga


    Gaga first spoke of her experiences with bulimia in February 2012 in an interview with Maria Shriver at a Los Angeles conference, saying "I used to throw up all the time in high school. So I’m not that confident. I wanted to be a skinny little ballerina but I was a voluptuous little Italian girl," the <em>New York Post</em> reported at the time. After a number of media outlets scrutinized her weight during a <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/19/lady-gaga-meat-corset_n_1897240.html">2012 European tour</a> she took to her website, <a href="http://littlemonsters.com/">LittleMonsters.com</a>, to reveal she <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/25/lady-gaga-weight-singer-bulimic-teenager_n_1913701.html">still struggles with bulimia and anorexia</a>. She announced the launch of an online forum she's calling the "Body Revolution" to help herself and others "triumph over insecurities," she wrote.




  • Jessica Alba


    In 2005, actress Jessica Alba told <em>Glamour</em>, "A lot of girls have eating disorders, and I did too. I got obsessed with it. When I went from a girl's body to a woman's body with natural fat in places, I freaked out. It makes you feel weird, like you're not ready for that body."




  • Victoria Beckham


    In her 2005 memoir, "Learning To Fly," Beckham revealed that she suffered from an eating disorder during her early "Spice Girls" years. Pressure from the group's management led the singer to struggle with extreme dieting and binging. "In the gym, instead of checking my posture or position, I was checking the size of my bottom, or to see if my double chin was getting any smaller," she wrote.




  • Lindsay Lohan


    In 2006 after the public watched her shrink before their eyes, actress Lindsay Lohan confessed to <em>Vanity Fair</em> that she was "making herself sick," which many took as a reference to bulimia. She told the magazine that Tina Fed and SNL producer Lorne Michaels staged an intervention telling her she needed to take care of herself.




  • Mary Kate Olsen


    Actress and former child star Mary Kate Olsen famously went to rehab in 2003 for anorexia, but rarely spoke about it. In 2008 she confessed that the disease nearly killed her. "There have definitely been times in my life when I just turned to people and said, 'I'm done -- this is too much for me. This is too over-whelming," she said.




  • Kelly Clarkson


    In 2007, singer Kelly Clarkson told <em>CosmoGirl</em> that she was bulimic in high school. "The lesson I took from that was purely superficial, but that's what I grew up thinking for a long time. It wasn't smart, and I headed straight into an eating disorder and became bulimic for the next six months," she said.




  • Katie Couric


    Katie Couric discussed <a href="http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/couric_admits_bulimia_battle_EpU1k3fLULVMYxC0WK306H">her own history with bulimia</a> on an episode of her new daytime talk show "Katie" while interviewing Demi Lovato, the <em>New York Post</em> reported. "I <a href="http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20632657,00.html">wrestled with bulimia</a> all through college and for two years after that," Couric said while interviewing an expert in eating disorders, according to People.com.




  • Katharine McPhee


    In 2006, singer Katharine McPhee talked to "Good Morning America" about her five-year battle with bulimia that nearly destroyed her vocal cords. At her worst point, McPhee binged and purged as many as seven times a day, she said just a few weeks ago. She said that appearing on "American Idol" saved her life by forcing her to confront her problem.




  • Jamie-Lynn Sigler


    "Sopranos" star Jamie-Lynn Sigler told "The Early Show" she had exercise bulimia: "I ended up starting at a routine which was, you know, 20 minutes in the morning and cutting back a little on my calories. And it snowballed into six or seven hours a day of exercise," said Sigler.




  • Candace Cameron Bure


    In 2010, former "Full House" star Candace Cameron Bure revealed her battle with bulimia when she released her book titled, "Reshaping It All." She told <em>People</em> that she began binging and purging after "Full House" ended its run in 1995 and she was adjusting to life in Canada with her new husband, Russian-born NHL player Valeri Bure.




  • Kate Beckinsale


    In 2005 actress Kate Beckinsale opened up about her anorexic past. The star once weighed only 70 pounds and attended five therapy sessions a week for four years to fight the disease.




  • Ashlee Simpson


    In 2005 singer and actress Ashlee Simpson told <em>Cosmopolitan</em> that as a young ballerina she struggled with anorexia. "I was around a lot of girls with eating disorders, and I actually had a minor one myself," says Simpson, who at one point stood 5'2" but only weighed 70 pounds. Simpson said her parents stepped in and made her eat, adding that family support really helped her.




  • Crystal Renn


    After breaking into the modeling industry at 16 years old, Renn battled anorexia before getting healthy and switching over to the world of plus-size modeling two years later. In her memoir "Hungry," the Vogue cover girl chronicles her struggle to take control of her body -- and her career -- to become the size she feels most comfortable with. Renn continues to speak out about underweight models in the fashion world, championing larger sample sizes to encourage diversity in the media and healthy habits.




  • Portia de Rossi


    The actress has spoken out about her struggles with the "starving and binging and purging" that plagued her since she was 12. According to her memoir, "Unbearable Lightness," once she was cast in "Ally McBeal" in 1998, she began cutting down her food intake until she reached 82 pounds and collapsed on set. After hitting rock bottom, de Rossi gained and lost weight, eventually settling into a healthy lifestyle. "I thank God for Ellen every day -– she has enabled me to be exactly who I am. We first met in 2001 when I weighed 168 pounds, but she says she never saw me as heavy –- she only saw the person inside," de Rossi wrote. "It’s ironic, really, that I tried so hard to present myself as something I wasn’t when all I ever wanted was to be loved for my true self."




  • Demi Lovato Talks Eating Disorder After Fan Throws Barbie Doll On Stage


    Demi Lovato made a heartfelt speech about eating disorders and bullying, after a fan threw a Barbie on stage. She talked about bulling and said, "I know how you guys feel and I want to show you guys that you can get through it because I’m living proof right here." The she proceeded to pick up the Barbie and said, " I spent my whole life trying to be this and trying to look like this. And guess what? I’m not this. And it means the world to me that you guys still love me no matter what."