One of the reasons I started my website is that I wanted a place for women to come together and dream. We women need to know that we don't have to hang on to an old dream that has stopped nurturing us -- that there is always time to start a new dream. This week's story follows a woman whose rough, scratchy heels plagued her throughout most of her life. She finally took matters into her own hands and whipped up a miracle solution, and now she's made millions. —Marlo, MarloThomas.com[1]


By Lori Weiss


When most women whisper that there’s trouble between the sheets, they’re not usually talking about their feet. But for Melinda Clark, her scratchy heels were the reason, her husband would wince, each time she’d snuggle up to him.


“It was so bad that I tore through two sets of flannel sheets,” Melinda recalled. “It got to be a joke between us, but it was an issue. I had to wear socks to bed!”


It was a problem that had plagued her for years. Melinda was a gymnast in college and rough on her heels and while she loved living in California, the constant sunshine on her flip-flop covered feet, added to the dryness — creating cracks that no amount of moisturizer or Vaseline could fix.


“I couldn’t even put on a pair of nylons. I’d have to slip a plastic bag over my foot, put my stockings on and then slip my hand in to try and get the bag out without ripping them!”


It got to a point where my husband said, “You’ve got the skills. Do something about this!”



“The skills Melinda had, were as a chemist, but she hadn’t used them since just after college. Instead, she spent her days caring for her children and running her husband’s chiropractic office. But when she had some spare time, she’d find herself going back to those lessons she’d learned not only in chemistry class, but at her grandmother’s side — and mix up some lotions and soaps for her kids.


“It kind of became an addiction,” she laughed. “I had all kinds of soaps and scrubs, lotions and body butters — so much so, that I started packaging them and selling them at little home parties I’d throw for my friends. I had to get them off my kitchen table!”


But when it came to her scratchy feet, she struggled to find a solution. “It took me three or four months to find something that worked. Most moisturizers and lotions sit on top of the skin and I knew I had to find ingredients that would get to the root of the problem. But within a week of finding the right combination, I knew I was on to something. The results were so amazing, I took before pictures so I’d be able to show the difference!”


On to something would be an understatement. While at the time, Melinda was just trying to create something that would bring her husband back to her side of the bed — the solution she came up with, would end up being featured in an infomercial and make her a millionaire.


Article continues below slideshow



Loading Slideshow...



  • Meet Melinda


    For Melinda Clark, a busy mother of two, the problem of rough, scratchy heels had plagued her since she was young. No amount of Vaseline or topical moisturizer seemed to make a difference.




  • Beginning The Journey


    The moment Melinda decided to take a shot at creating a homemade remedy for her scratchy feet, she embarked upon an incredible journey towards success.




  • Early Days


    As a college gymnast, the constant wear and tear on Melinda's feet made them incredibly tough and scratchy.




  • Playing In The Sun


    Growing up in sunny California didn't help her case either, as Melinda and her family were constantly outdoors. Melinda's daughter Allyssa, son Kevin and husband Craig spent a lot of time outdoors or at the beach. Here, Kevin and Craig are pictured playing in their yard.




  • Like Mother Like Daughter


    Melinda's daughter, Allyssa, took after her mother and loved to be active and outdoors in the sunshine. Allyssa would grow up to become a soccer star. Here, she and Mom smile for a photo.




  • Trouble Between The Sheets


    Ever since she and her husband, Craig, got married, they started experiencing some trouble between the sheets... Melinda's scratchy heels would tear through them!




  • One Heel Of An Issue


    The constant exposure to sunlight continued to roughen and damage the skin of Melinda's already rough heels. For years, Melinda struggled with tough callouses and cracked skin on her heels, causing embarrassment and discomfort.




  • Generations Of Strong Ladies


    Channeling not only her experience as a chemist in college but her days spent at her Grandmother Jean's side mixing various lotions and scrubs, Melinda took a shot at creating a homemade remedy for her scratchy feet. She started mixing up lotions and soaps in her kitchen. Here, Melinda (far right) sits with her Grandmother Jean (far left), mother Lois and daughter, Allyssa.




  • Home Experiments & Shows


    Melinda began actively mixing soaps, scrubs, lotions and body butters, stockpiling shelves of samples in her home. Eventually, Melinda started packaging and selling them at small home parties and shows for her friends. "I had to get them off my kitchen table!" she recalled.




  • Cracked Heel Repair Is Born


    Melinda struggled for months to find a solution for her scratchy feet, finding it difficult to create a product that would deeply penetrate the skin. Three or four months into her experimentation, however, Melinda finally struck gold. The results were incredible, and she decided to call her product Cracked Heel Repair.




  • Craft And Trade Show Time


    With a surplus of the successful foot cream she was trying out, Melinda decided to start selling her product at local craft and salon trade shows. Melinda's husband and children would help set up tents and displays, and Melinda's booth would be consistently packed. Here, Melinda's product is displayed at her first salon trade show in Los Angeles.




  • Big Buyers


    Just a few weeks after appearing at these larger trade shows, Melinda found a small manufacturer and began producing larger amounts of her product. Soon, she started receiving calls from big buyers like Bed Bath & Beyond, and her Cracked Heel Repair appeared on the check-out shelf at all 800 stores nationwide.




  • A Christmas Miracle


    On the morning of Christmas Eve, Melinda received a call from a representative from As Seen On TV. They were interested in a licensing agreement, and soon Cracked Heel Repair expanded into a much bigger product called Heeltastic.




  • Shelf Life


    Heeltastic quickly became a household name after its debut on As Seen On TV, appearing on the shelves of convenience stores nationwide including CVS, Walgreens, Target and 7-11.




  • Enterprising Mom In The Press


    Because of the rapid success of Heeltastic, numerous publications including <em>The National Inquirer</em> spotlighted Melinda's story.




  • The Luxuriant Ladies


    Following the success of Heeltastic, Melinda continued to grow her company, which she named Luxuriant. Here, Melinda poses with her loyal all-female staff members who were with her from the very beginning. From left to right: Jacque, Carrie, Heather, Gail and Melinda spend time together at a holiday party.




  • Moving On Up


    Since 2009, more than 10 million units have been sold, bringing in revenue of over 35 million dollars.




  • Such Great Heights


    Melinda began to partner with other brands like Carol's Daughter and Estee Lauder. Now at the age of 55, Melinda has produced over 60 other beauty products including cuticle care and deodarant.




  • Putting Her Kids First


    Looking back, Melinda says she could have never accomplished such a feat if she hadn't been a mother. "Being a Mom taught me more than 4 years of college or any job I've ever had," Melinda reflected. Here, she and son, Kevin, and daughter, Allyssa, smile at a carnival.




  • Super Mom


    Melinda credits her negotiation, logistics and multitasking skills to being a mom. Whether she was coordinating her daughter's soccer schedule or taking care of her family pet, she was constantly learning and growing.




  • Success Story


    Now happily re-married and a busy entrepreneur, Melinda reflected on her success. "There are some things I may not accomplish after 40," Melinda said with a smile, "like being a swimsuit model or becoming a solid gold dancer." But her dream of running a business -- well, let's just say she's got that one in the bag.





“I had so much product that I was trying out,” she explained, “I decided to move the parties from my house to local craft shows. My husband and kids would help me put up a tent and I’d spend the weekend talking to people — and that’s when I realized I wasn’t alone — that lots of women were having the same problem. The other booths had maybe one or two visitors at a time, but mine was packed. I was making a couple thousand dollars every weekend, just with the Cracked Heel Repair.”


“That’s when I realized that I really needed to find a manufacturer, which wasn’t easy. 500 units seems like a lot when you’re doing it at home, but it’s nothing to a manufacturer.”


But Melinda found a company that had started out small too. They saw her passion and decided to take a chance. And Melinda vowed that when she made it big, she was going to take everyone who believed in her at the start, right along with her.

With extra inventory in hand, she made her way to trade shows. Once again, her booth was surrounded. But it was someone who would casually walk by, who would end up opening an enormous door.


“Five or six weeks after the show,” the entrepreneur remembered, “I got a call from the national buyer at Bed Bath & Beyond. He wanted units for 80 stores! I was doing a crazy dance — but thinking, I’m going to have to figure out how to pull this off when I hang up the phone.”


Within 45 days, it was not only the door that was open at Bed Bath and Beyond, but the flood gates. Her product sold so well, that it ended up at the check-out counters at all 800 stores. And then the Home Shopping Network came calling.


“It was like a Chinese fire drill! I was hiring employees, putting in computer systems. I was flying to Tampa every two months, doing three shows in twenty-four hours. We’d sell 15,000 units in a weekend.”


But even that call didn’t compare to the one Melinda received early Christmas Eve morning.


“My husband answered the phone and said it’s someone who says they’re from “As Seen On TV”. I said, 'Yeah, right.' But when I got on the line, it was Raj Shahani, the Vice President of Product Development for Telebrands, the creators of the PedEgg and he said they were interested in my product!”


The company was offering Melinda a licensing agreement. They would film an infomercial for her, take over the manufacturing and she would receive a percentage for every product sold.


“I knew I didn’t have the resources to take this to the next level. And this was the big time. I knew if I could get this kind of exposure, the money would come, so I was more than happy to share it!”


So Melinda called her manufacturer — the one who’d taken a chance on her — and told him he needed to scale up from 80,000 units to a million.


“He thought I was kidding too! I thought he was going to drop the phone when I explained what was happening. You know how they always say on infomercials, allow three to four weeks for delivery? That’s because people like us are saying, ‘Holy crap, how are we going to do this?’”


Telebrands renamed Melinda’s product Heeltastic [2] — allowing her to keep the original name of Cracked Heel Repair and all the revenue she brought in from that brand. It wasn’t long before the foot balm that began in Melinda’s kitchen, became a household name.


“The first few royalty checks that came in,” Melinda said, “were for about 20 or 30 thousand dollars. But by the third quarter, I had a nice six figure check in my hand. I took my entire staff out to celebrate and every single one of them got a bonus.”


The six figure checks continued to roll in, and Heeltastic went from a product that was seen on TV, to the shelves of not only Bed Bath & Beyond, but CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Target and 7-11. Since 2009, more than 10 million units have been sold -- bringing in revenue of more than 35 million dollars.


But Melinda was not about to rest on her laurels — lovely as they were. She used that success to grow her company, which she named Luxuriant[3] , and to begin partnering with brands like Carol’s Daughter and Estee Lauder. And now at the age of 55, she’s producing more than 60 other products.


“I could have never accomplished this in my 20’s. I didn’t have the mental skill sets to maneuver all of this. But being a Mom taught me more than 4 years of college or any job I’ve ever had. That’s where I got my negotiating skills and my logistics skills. Now instead of running my husband’s office, and coordinating my daughter’s soccer schedule with my son’s baseball practice, I’m moving skincare solutions into the marketplace.”


“There are some things I may not accomplish after 40,” Melinda said with a smile, “like being a swimsuit model or becoming a solid gold dancer. I really did want to become a solid gold dancer. But running a business -- I’ve never felt more prepared to do that.”







Add Marlo On Facebook:





Follow Marlo on Twitter:




@MarloThomas[4]


Follow Marlo on Pinterest


My Weekly Newsletter - Marlo Thomas Weekly Newsletter


Sign up to receive my email newsletter each week - It will keep you up-to-date on upcoming articles, Mondays with Marlo guests, videos, and more!


Sign up here[5]