One of the reasons I started my website is that I wanted a place for women to come together and dream. We women need to know that we don't have to hang on to an old dream that has stopped nurturing us -- that there is always time to start a new dream. This week's story is about a woman who began to worry about her health when her weight spiraled out of control. The opportunity to turn her life around came through an unlikely source -- a company bonding activity. The experience challenged Donna to conquer a Tough Mudder and in the process, drop 120 pounds. What an accomplishment! -- Marlo, MarloThomas.com[1]


By Lori Weiss


Donna Rees grew up feeling like a thin person trapped inside a fat person’s body. From the time she was a child, she struggled with her weight, yet she insisted on squeezing into clothes two sizes too small -- doing her best to camouflage the tight fit, so she could be a little bit like the other girls. But when it came to physical activity, the best she could do was watch her friends and family do all the things she never thought she could.


“I was never very good at gym,” Donna recalled. “I never tried out for any teams. I just couldn’t get my body to do the things I wanted it to do. The only A I ever got in gym was in volleyball. I think my gym teacher was fascinated by how uncoordinated I was, but that I could still get the ball over the net. My brothers went hiking and camping, and I loved the idea of being outside, but I felt trapped inside my house. I just couldn’t keep up with them.”


It was one of those things that no one discussed -- a secret that was right there out in the open, but somehow Donna lived with it silently.


“I remember going on vacation with friends of our family,” she continued, “and I was very self conscious ordering food, so I ordered less than I would normally eat. One of the fathers said, ‘That’s not enough for you -- you’re a hefty girl, you need more than that.’ I remember crying that night, thinking I must be this horrible thing and he knows it.”


It was a thought that would live in Donna’s mind until her 50s, as her weight climbed to 270 pounds.


“Every year I set a New Year’s resolution, promising myself that I’d lose the weight. I’d fantasize of being in my 50s and being in really great shape. But since I started making that resolution in my 30s, I figured I had lots of time.”


It wasn’t as if life didn’t go on. Donna married her high school sweetheart and built a successful career in human resources. But when she found herself divorced and living alone, she began to worry about her health -- noticing that even climbing the stairs to do laundry was becoming a challenge.


“I had started seeing a new doctor,” Donna said, “and he was really the first one to ever bring up my weight. He wanted to put me on blood pressure medication. My cholesterol was high. I was pre-diabetic. He was concerned about sleep apnea. And that’s when it hit me -- that I had to do something.”


Article continues below slideshow




Loading Slideshow...



  • Ready For A Change


    Donna at her heaviest, 270 pounds, in December 2010. She was unhappy with her appearance and worried about her health -- simple tasks like climbing the stairs to do laundry had become challenging because of her size.




  • A New Donna


    Donna's weight loss has changed her life. Now, she enjoys having her picture taken, buying new clothes, working out and eating healthy. Here she is with her great niece, April Rose.




  • Best Friends And Workout Buddies


    Both Donna and her best friend, Sue, were unhappy with their bodies in 2009. They embarked on their weight loss journey together and were able to motivate each other to get in shape.




  • Seeing Fast Results


    Best buds Donna and Sue looked dramatically different after their foray into fitness. Donna went from a size 24 to a size 12 in 11 months!




  • Dancing Off The Pounds


    Before Donna lost weight, she could have never imagined doing Zumba. Today, it's one of her favorite activities! Here she is with her instructor, Raquel, and best friend, Sue.




  • Mother And Daughter Before


    Donna and her mom before she began her weight loss journey.




  • Mother And Daughter After


    Now, Donna can share clothes with her mom! Here they are in Fall 2012.




  • Tough Mudder Training


    Donna and her coworkers prepared for their first Tough Mudder with running drills, stretches and squats.




  • The Big Day Arrives


    Donna and her coworkers get pumped up for the Tough Mudder. At this point, Donna had already lost 40 pounds, but she was still intimidated when she first saw the course.




  • Getting Dirty


    Donna and her coworkers trudge through mud, water and rocks underneath a barbed wire fence during the Tough Mudder. She was proud of the bruises she earned that day!




  • A Surprise On Top Of Mt. Snow


    Donna's doctor surprised her at the top of Mt. Snow after she had successfully completed the Tough Mudder. Initially, he advised her against participating in the obstacle course, but when he learned that she was going to do it anyway, he joined in on the fun.




  • The First 10K


    Donna isn't a runner, but in 2012, she ran her first 10K race with her brother in Santa Cruz, CA. She finished the race at 1 hour and 50 minutes.




  • Supportive Sibling


    Brian, Donna's brother, finished the race in only 50 minutes, but he came back to the finish line to take a picture with her.




  • Taking Her Dream Vacation


    After losing weight, Donna embarked on her dream vacation to Europe. Before, she had been nervous about the walking and climbing involved. Now, she can enjoy every minute of her travels! Here she is right before hiking down Schilthorn Mountain in Switzerland.




  • Oktoberfest In Munich


    Donna drinks a "radler" at Oktoberfest in Munich. She would have been embarrassed to visit Oktoberfest in the past because of her size -- there were a lot of tight spaces to squeeze into -- but at her new weight, she had a blast.




  • Tough Mudder: Round Two


    In 2013, Donna participated in another Tough Mudder with 10 of her family members. Here is the full team before taking on the course.




  • Climbing To New Heights


    The second Tough Mudder consisted of five climbs up Gunstock Mountain, and there were plenty of other challenges on the course!




  • Tough Mudder Veteran


    It wasn't easy, but Donna powered through her second Tough Mudder. Next, she's planning on tackling a triathlon.




  • Donna's Food Guru


    Donna credits Kim Benson, her friend who runs a weight loss support center, with helping her stay in shape. Kim went through a dramatic weight loss of her own, and taught Donna how to cook healthy and to believe in herself.




  • Terrific Trainers


    Lou and Rose are Donna's trainers and the owners of Hard Kore Fitness Gym. She considers them part of her extended family!




  • Before The Transformation


    Here is Donna with her parents at Christmas in 2011.




  • A Healthier Holiday Season


    What a difference one year makes! The next holiday season, she looked like a completely different person.





“I didn’t want to live my life that way, on all kinds of medications. I didn’t want to become dependent on other people helping me as I aged. So I said, ‘Give me 6 months. If I haven’t made progress in 6 months, I’ll do whatever you say.’”


But the real challenge came weeks later -- in the one place Donna felt like her weight never got in her way -- at work.


“The president of our company had been talking about doing a team building event for a number of years. He felt like we needed to do something to bond. So he asked our new Vice President of Sales and Marketing to come back to him with some ideas and one of our colleagues suggested a Tough Mudder.”


The Tough Mudder he had in mind was a 10 mile course with 25 obstacles that would take the company team up a 3,586 foot muddy mountain, over twelve foot walls and through icy waters. And as the head of human resources, it was Donna’s job to get her co-workers on board.


“When the managers heard about it,” Donna laughed, “most of them came to me and asked why we couldn’t do something a little less crazy the first time? But the president said, ‘We all sell ourselves short. We think we’re capable of so much less than we are. I think we need to prove that we’re capable of doing this.’ That’s what he wanted to bring to the company. He wanted people to realize they’re capable of more.”


“My doctor wanted to write me a note. He actually wanted me to convince them all not to do it. He thought it was just a bunch of injuries waiting to happen. He’d been invited to participate in one himself and said 'no' because he couldn’t take the risk of getting hurt.”


But the team was moving forward and while Donna didn’t really believe that she could make it up that muddy mountain, she was determined to at least train with her co-workers. So she found a gym where they worked out together for three months and she pushed herself even harder. While her co-workers were there twice a week, she was there four. And she found a weight loss group that met just across the street, where she could drop into meetings as often as she liked and learn how to cook the foods she enjoyed in a healthier fashion.


By the time the Tough Mudder was scheduled to take place, Donna had shed 40 pounds and she was doing things she never dreamed of -- including a 10 mile training run. And that’s when she decided that this was a team she could finally be a part of.


“We all drove up to Mt. Snow in Vermont on Saturday night,” Donna remembered. “The guys were cooking dinner and some of us went up to the mountain to see the end of that day’s competition. I took one look at that mountain and said, ‘No frickin’ way -- this is not going to happen. I had no clue what I was thinking when I decided I could do this.”


But with the support of her co-workers, Donna was there at the starting line. With her heart “pounding out of her chest” she took her first muddy steps, with two friends holding on tight to be sure she didn’t slip. But as she reached the foot of the mountain, she panicked and that’s when the head of sales and marketing went to work -- and sold her on herself.


“He pulled me aside and said, “Just walk with me for a minute. You’ve been training. You’ve got this. Don’t look up. Just take this one step at a time. There are platforms along the way, we can stop whenever you want. Before I knew it, we were a quarter of the way up the mountain and I realized maybe I can do this.”


But it wasn’t just the mountain, there were still the obstacles the team had to overcome -- including a section of barbed wire only 16 inches above the muddy ground that participants had to crawl under.


“You’re allowed to walk around any obstacle you can’t do,” Donna explained, “and there were some, like a pool of ice they wanted us to swim through, that I opted out of, but when I made it under that barbed wire, I was giddy -- wet and cold and muddy -- but giddy.”


And finally, two hours in, Donna reached the top of the mountain. That’s when she felt someone tap her on the shoulder. It was her doctor. His friends had invited him again and knowing that his dedicated patient was going to participate, he realized he couldn’t say no. Donna had become her doctor’s inspiration.


Together, everyone on the team made it to the finish line. But for Donna, that race was just the start. She continued on her weight loss journey and began setting fitness goals. She built her strength and endurance and challenged herself to do something she’d always wanted to do -- run with her brother. And two months later, she joined him for a 10K race.


“I couldn’t quite keep up with my brother, but when he finished the race, he walked back a mile to meet me and then he took pictures as I crossed the finish line. You get a t-shirt at the end of the race. Up until then I’d been wearing triple X’s. That t-shirt was my very first large.”


Today, just twenty months since Donna began her journey, she’s gone from a size 24 to a 10. She’s down to 150 pounds and there’s no need for her to take any of the medications her doctor initially prescribed. She’s even done a second Tough Mudder, this time not only with her co-workers -- but with her family. And her next goal: a triathlon.


“I haven’t been on a bicycle in 25 years,” Donna said with a smile, “and I’m not a strong swimmer. But I figure there’s no place to go but up! I want to do things that were never in my wildest dreams -- to keep proving to myself that I’m alive and that I can accomplish things. I have so much to look forward to now. I’m fearless, fabulous and 56. And my 60s are going to be seriously sexy!”







Add Marlo On Facebook:





Follow Marlo on Twitter:




@MarloThomas[2]


Follow Marlo on Pinterest


My Weekly Newsletter - Marlo Thomas Weekly Newsletter


Sign up to receive my email newsletter each week - It will keep you up-to-date on upcoming articles, Mondays with Marlo guests, videos, and more!


Sign up here[3]