Get Back

On Course.

Download

GPS for

the Soul



[1]

The stress and strain of constantly being connected can sometimes take your life -- and your well-being -- off course. GPS For The Soul can help you find your way back to balance.


GPS Guides are our way of showing you what has relieved others' stress in the hopes that you will be able to identify solutions that work for you. We all have de-stressing "secret weapons" that we pull out in times of tension or anxiety, whether they be photos that relax us or make us smile, songs that bring us back to our heart, quotes or poems that create a feeling of harmony, or meditative exercises that help us find a sense of silence and calm. We encourage you to look at the GPS Guide below, visit our other GPS Guides here[2] , and share with us your own personal tips for finding peace, balance and tranquility.


Some people seem to be happy all the time. Try as we may, there are many experiences that can get in the way of maintaining such a happy-go-lucky demeanor. Rachael Grannell[3] , Editorial Intern for HuffPost's Healthy Living is definitely not one of those people that wakes up with a smile on her face -- she needs her coffee first. But she has a few tricks that keep her grounded in happiness. Scroll through the slideshow for her guide to keep happy and carry on. Who knows, maybe one of her tricks could work for you too!



Loading Slideshow...



  • Visiting With My Pup


    Going to college 20 minutes down the road from my house, I had the luxury of visiting my dog whenever school got stressful. Now that I live in New York City, my mother will send me videos of Sugar (my dog) running around outside. Science proves it's not just my crazy love for my dog that makes me so happy. Pets have been linked to i<a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/pets-stress_b_3077521.html" target="_blank">mprovement in pain management and stress relief</a>.




  • Catching Some Sun And Waves


    Soaking up some sun and spending time out on the water, whether in Florida or upstate New York, can bring me happiness for weeks to come. Getting active in the water is the best way for me to burn off some steam in the warm weather, and getting 20 minutes of sun allows the body to <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/15/get-vitamin-d_n_1671396.html" target="_blank">benefit from the vitamin D</a> it so badly craves in the winter.




  • Running Out The Stress


    I've found it to be true what they say: "You're just one run away from a good mood." I come back from a run rejuvenated and happier, no matter what I had to deal with that day. It doesn't matter if I clock in 90 minutes or 25, running <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/27/mental-health-benefits-exercise_n_2956099.html" target="_blank">reduces my anxiety and makes me get productive</a>.




  • Getting Lost In A Good Book


    Studies show that one of the <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/12/health-benefits-reading_n_4081258.html" target="_blank">most effective ways to overcome stress</a> is escaping into a great story. On a cold day I love curling up in blankets and getting lost in another world.




  • A Clean Home Makes For A Clean Mind


    There are days when I'm stressed over things that are simply out of my control. When that happens I often find it de-stressing to clean and organize. When things are in their places I feel like I have more room to breathe and de-clutter my thoughts. While I simply clean to busy myself until I am more relaxed, studies have shown that people who have more clean and organized homes tend to be <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/saudia-davis/regular-cleaning-is-good-_b_4283365.html" target="_blank">healthier and more physically active</a>.




  • My Take-Anywhere, Go-To Secret To Happiness


    Sometimes it's a classical Mozart piece to get my mind focused and other times it's pretending to rock it out with Queen Bey right beside me, but listening to music has always been a source of happiness for me. Which makes sense since listening to music actually <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/09/music-and-health-11-ways-body-mind_n_1413241.html" target="_blank">lowers stress, and boosts your heart health</a>.





For more GPS Guides, click here[4] .