Floyd Mayweather Jr. has never lost a professional fight, holds eight world boxing titles and was just named by Forbes as the highest-paid athlete in the world.


But when The Huffington Post asked him about any special diet tips, he said, "I don't really have a diet because I walk around at my fight weight. I can basically eat anything."


Mayweather was one of the seven world-class athletes HuffPost asked about their diet habits, and he wasn't alone in terms of not always sticking to a super healthy, highly disciplined nutrition plan. From a pro soccer player to a female UFC champ, check out these athletes' responses below, and then scroll down to see what two nutritionists had to say about diets for workouts:





  • Landon Donovan


    "It's not necessarily one thing I do. I think it's an <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/16/landon-donovan-us-national-team_n_3286517.html?utm_hp_ref=the-schultz-report" target="_blank">overall lifestyle</a>, and what I do is I'm always thinking about, you know: Is this decision that I'm about to make gonna help me be better as a player, but also in life, am I gonna feel good by making this decision? ... I don't eat perfectly all the time. I have In-N-Out burgers after the game."

    Age: 31

    United States National Team all-time leader in scoring and assists; four-time winner of U.S. Soccer Athlete of the Year.




  • Floyd Mayweather, Jr.


    In a <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/08/floyd-mayweather-jr-showtime_n_3239845.html?utm_hp_ref=the-schultz-report" target="_blank">previous interview</a>, Mayweather told HuffPost, "I don't really have a diet because I walk around at my fight weight. I can basically eat anything, but if I cheat, it makes me work that much harder."

    Age: 36

    Best Fighter ESPY Award in 2007, 2008, 2010 and 2012; two-time No. 1 on Forbes and SI World's 100 highest-paid athletes; eight boxing world titles.




  • Jose Bautista, Toronto Blue Jays


    "My muscles get sore the next day if I don't eat enough protein or drink enough water. Recovery time has a lot to do with diet."

    Age: 32

    Three-time MLB All-Star; two-time MLB Home Run Champion (2010-2011).




  • Al Horford, Atlanta Hawks


    "I'm a big snacker. I try to eat five, six times a day. You don't have to have those big, heavy meals all the time. ... It's harder on the road trying to eat the right way."

    Age: 26

    Two-time NCAA champion at University of Florida; third overall pick in 2007 NBA Draft; two-time NBA All-Star (2010-2011).




  • Ray Rice, Baltimore Ravens


    "I'm a big fan of what you put in your body is what you get out of it. ... I actually went on an 18- to 21-day cleanse after the season."

    "I just kind of like eat clean ... low carbs, you know, obviously but, a lot of greens."

    Age: 26

    Super Bowl Champion (XLVII); three-time Pro Bowler; two-time All-Pro; first team All-American at Rutgers in 2007.




  • Ronda Rousey, UFC Fighter


    "People say this all the time and everyone like nods their head and is like 'Oh yeah, totally,' but no one ever does it, including myself. I can do better at it, is just drinking a lot of water, like a gallon and a half, two gallons a day, like straight water all day."

    Age: 26

    <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/15/ronda-rousey-ufc_n_3245483.html?utm_hp_ref=the-schultz-report" target="_blank">First and current UFC Women's Bantamweight Champion</a>; Olympic bronze medal in judo at the 2008 Olympics.




  • Al Horford, Atlanta Hawks


    "I drink lots of water. Getting my rest; sleeping is very important. ... Those are things that allow me to work and prepare every day. ... It's almost like a lifestyle. You have to sacrifice, especially the way that you eat. I think that determines a lot on how you're going to perform."

    Age: 27

    Two-time NBA All-Star; two-time NCAA National Champion







Dr. Susan Kleiner, the owner of High Performance Nutrition, LLC, in Washington state, told HuffPost that for athletes, "[a healthy diet] lays a foundation for maximizing your training and conditioning."


"The next huge thing is recovery nutrition," she said. "Hydrating before and making sure you continue to hydrate and/or fuel during training."


Sports nutritionist and published author Nancy Clark raved about the benefits of eating a nutritional breakfast to help fuel workouts, including high-protein foods like eggs, Greek yogurt and cottage cheese.


Email me at jordan.schultz@huffingtonpost.com or ask me questions about anything sports-related at @Schultz_Report.